Media, Public Understanding and Science
Awareness of the duty and responsibility of publicly funded scientists to make their work more accessible to the general public. The role of journalists. Effective mass communication about the benefits of science, and areas of concern. Reporting debates and issues around the impact of science on society. Review of public understanding of science and science communication.
At the end of the course, participants are able to:
1) Explain the issues on science communication and public understanding of science.
2) Formulate findings from selected cases on public understanding of science.
3) Synthesize issues involving the media and science.
Some key definitions: Public, understanding, science, media, communication
2. Introduction to Public Understanding of Science (PUS) and Science Communication
3. Media Today
4. Media content analysis
5. Guided learning : Material search
6. Popular science, models of communication
7. Science journalism part 1
8. Science journalism part 2
9. Presentation of Assignment 1
Social media and public understanding of science
10. Science fiction
11. Guided learning: Assignment 2
12. Guided learning: Assignment 2
Public or participants who are interested to learn this course
Dr. Noor Munirah Isa / Dr. Nurulaini Abu Shamsi
Lecturer, Department of Science and Technology Studies
Faculty of Science
Semester 2/2022 (Starting on February/March 2022)
Ground Floor, New Science Lab Building,
Department of Science and Technology Studies,
Faculty of Science, Universiti Malaya
- Certificate of Achievement (with assessment)
- Certificate of Completion (without assessment)
RM1,064 (Certificate of Achievement)
RM904 (Certificate of Completion)