Master of Arts (Linguistics)
This programme focuses on knowledge and research skills related to language structure and use through the variety of courses offered and the dissertation.
- A bachelor’s degree with a CGPA of not lower than 3.0 or equivalent in the field of English language or linguistics studies, or
- A bachelor’s degree with a CGPA of not lower than 3.0 or equivalent in a non-language related field; and a minimum of one year’s work experience in a field related to studies in English language use or linguistics, or
- A bachelor’s degree with a CGPA lower than 3.0 or equivalent; and a minimum of two years’ work experience in a field related to studies in English language use or linguistics, or
- Other qualifications approved by the Senate from time to time
A non-Malaysian applicant whose degree is from a university or institution of higher learning where the medium of instruction for that degree is not the English Language and where the applicant wishes to follow a programme and/or write his dissertation in the English language shall be required :
- To obtain a score of 550 for a paper-based total, a score of 213 for a computer-based total or a score of 80 for an internet-based total for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or
- To obtain a band of 6 for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)(ACADEMIC);
This Master’s programme consists of coursework and dissertation. The programme is offered in English and Bahasa Malaysia. Candidates need to complete three core courses (Research Methodology, Fundamentals of Linguistics & Approches to Linguistics), one programme elective course (Phonetics & Phonology, Lexis & Morphology, Syntax, Arabic Semantic Studies or Structure of Arabic Grammar) and one faculty elective course (e.g. Semiotics & Multimodality, Language for Specific Purposes, Translation Studies, Pragmatics, Language & Cognition, Critical Discourse Analysis, Systemic Functional Linguistics, Sociolinguistics, Issues in Arabic Translations or Issues in Learning Arabic Language). The student will also have to submit a dissertation to be awarded the Master’s in Linguistics Degree.
Fee for local student
Fee for international student
*Subject to approval by the university.
Payment of fees is based on semester subject to the prescribed amount.
A Malaysian candidate who wishes to pursue a programme of study at the University of Malaya must fulfill the University's entry requirements as follows:
- Passed the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) with a credit (Grade C) in Bahasa Melayu/Bahasa Malaysia subject or a credit (Grade C) in Bahasa Melayu/Bahasa Malaysia July paper and pass in History; and
- Achieve a minimum Band in the Malaysian University English Test (MUET) as required in special requirements of the programme. and
- Fulfilled any of the programme Entry Requirements as below: