Master of Bioinformatics
Bioinformatics is a new, exciting and challenging multidisciplinary field that combines mathematical, statistical, computer science and information technology methods to solve life science-based problems. Advances in experimental technologies have produced huge amounts of data. Therefore, managing and extracting useful information from these sources are important if we are to discover new knowledge to advance our understanding of the living world.
In MBioinformatics degree programme, students will receive broad training in fundamental areas of bioinformatics, thus allowing them to perform independent research or contribute as a bioinformatics specialist in a research team. Master of Bioinformatics by coursework programme is designed to address the growing need for professionals with an educational background that blends biology with computer sciences and information technology. The combination of skills is needed in the Bioinformatics industry as well as advanced life science-based industries such as biotechnology and biomedical research. The programme also prepares students for career advancement and further study at the PhD level.
- Applicants must have a Bachelor's Degree with Honors CGPA 3.0 and above or equivalent in the relevant field.
- Applicants with a Bachelor's Degree of CGPA 2.7 to 2.99 may be considered if they meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Having relevant work experience; or
- Produce publications in related fields; or
- is a recipient of a scholarship; or
- is a graduate of the University of Malaya; or
- is a government servant
- Applicants with a Bachelor's Degree of CGPA 2.5 to 2.69 may be considered if they meet at least two of the criteria in (1) (A) to (E) above
For international students, candidates are required to have TOEFL results at least 550 or IELTS at least Band 5.5.
- Program Core Courses (23 CREDITS)
- Program Elective Courses (9 CREDITS)
- Research Project (10 CREDITS)
Fee for local student
Fee for international student
*Subject to approval by the university.
Payment of fees is based on semester subject to the prescribed amount.