Master of Arts in Malay Studies
The Master of Arts in Malay Studies programme by coursework requires candidate to complete the compulsory coursework prepared by the Faculty, and any electives chosen by the candidate. At the end of the period of study, a research paper must be submitted. Candidates are required to complete their studies within 3 semesters to 8 semesters. Classes and elective course options are dependent on the department students join. The department choices are:
- Malay Language Department
- Malay Linguistics Department
- Malay Literature DepartmentMalay Socio-Cultural/Malay Arts Department
The Malay Studies degree will be prelude to careers in the fields related to business, governmental and non-governmental organisation.
A Bachelor’s Degree (Hons.) or its equivalent in the related field*
* Preference will be given to applicants with a Bachelor’s Degree with CGPA 3.0 and above or its equivalent.
* Applicants with a Bachelor’s Degree with CGPA 3.7 and above can apply directly for the PhD programme.
- Entry requirements for International Candidates who are writing their Thesis/ Dissertation in English:
(i) A band 6 for IELTS; or
(ii) A score of 550 paper based total, a score of 213 for computer-based total for TOEFL.
- Exit requirements for International candidates following courses and/or writing thesis/ dissertation in languages other than English:
(i) A band 5 for IELTS; or
(ii) TOEFL 500-549
Without IELTS or TOEFL: Candidates must attend and pass the English Language Proficiency Programme (ELP) conducted by University of Malaya Centre for Continuing Education (UMCCed) at the level stipulated by the University.
Core subjects = 30 credits
Elective subjects (Choose four (4) subjects only) = 16 credits
The credits in total: 46 credits
*Progressive subjects – need to be taken within 2 semesters consecutively
Fee for local student
Fee for international student
*Subject to approval by the university.
Payment of fees is based on semester subject to the prescribed amount.